The community indeed needs at least 2 reasonably active moderators, so that when one isn't available there's the other (hopefully). Right now, Dennis is the only active one. I would love to see people that have always cared for the community (i.e. unconditionally and for at least 1-2 years) and have a good overall knowledge of the AI field to run for mod in the next elections.
In my view, the best people for this role right now are: Neil Slatter, Edoardo Guerriero or David Ireland (although he hasn't been so active recently). Hopefully, at least one of them is interested in the role. Otherwise, honestly, right now, I don't see another good person for this role, as I believe a mod should be
- an active user (visit the site at least 1 a day and handle issues)
- have a good knowledge of AI
- be reasonably patient
- someone that, over the years, really showed to care for the community and AI (e.g. by writing answers, asking for clarifications, closing clearly off-topic posts, voting, etc.), so not someone that comes here every once in a while with a cocky attitude showing that they know how our site works or should work
- know quite well the scope of our site (if you're not familiar with it at this point, I don't think you're prepared to be a mod!) and how Stack Exchange sites usually work
- have not gotten into heated discussions with other users (including [old] moderators, like me) or have been suspended for irregularities or poor contributions (here or somewhere else)
Essentially, a great mod for our community would be someone like Dennis himself, who meets all the criteria above.